CfP: The Idea of a #Międzymorze / @Inter_Marium, #JSPPS 1.5.2018
Call for Papers:
“The Idea of a Międzymorze – Intermarium: Planning Cooperation and Integration in East-Central Europe”
A special section of English-language scholarly papers collected by Ostap Kushnir and Spasimir Domaradzki, at Lazarski University of Warsaw, in cooperation with Andreas Umland, at the Institute for Euro-Atlantic Сooperation in Kyiv, for the “Journal of Soviet & Post-Soviet Politics & Society” edited by Julie Fedor at The University of Melbourne, published by ibidem-Verlag at Stuttgart, and distributed outside Europe by Columbia University Press in New York. See, on JSPPS: http://www.ibidemverlag.de/Series/Journal-of-Soviet-and-Post-Soviet-Politics-and-Society/
Please, register your interest here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1249278011792621/
This publication project is linked to this conference in Warsaw in summer 2017: https://www.facebook.com/events/1403503866326988/ . However, papers may also be submitted by scholars not attending this conference.
Deadline for preliminary paper or abstract submission in English, Ukrainian, Russian or German: 30 March 2018. Deadline for paper submission of fully edited and formatted English-language papers: 01 May 2018. The final versions of the papers should be submitted only in English.
We invite submissions of academic papers analyzing one particular aspect of the history and current relevance of the idea of an Intermarium or an affiliated topic, including (but not exclusively targeting) the following subthemes:
– the pre-history, origins, evolution and permutations of the Intermarium concept,
– perceptions of the Intermarium framework by the public of the post-communist and EU member states,
– perceptions of the Intermarium framework among contemporary political elites in Central and Eastern European states,
– security cooperation within the Intermarium framework: addressing contemporary regional and global challenges,
– economic cooperation within the Intermarium framework: risks, obstacles, and perspectives,
– the joint cultural and historic legacy of East-Central Europe: the impact of non-material and material factors on cooperation within the Intermarium framework.
Further relevant subtopics may be proposed by prospective authors.
The papers should:
– pose a sufficiently narrow, interesting and focused research question,
– provide as many as possible facts, data, graphs, quotes, tables, etc.
– make an argument with reference to empirical evidence, legal texts and secondary literature,
– reference scrupulously all used primary and secondary sources, and
– be strictly analytical (rather than conversational, political, philosophical, elliptical etc.).
The final versions of the papers should be submitted in English, but can be also submitted earlier in Ukrainian, German or Russian, for a first preliminary assessment. They should have a length between 7,000 and 10,000 words. Please, send them as a WORD document, and list references by using WORD’s footnote function.
The papers’ formal style, references and footnotes should follow this style guide (with the footnote option: Chicago 16) http://spps-jspps.autorenbetreuung.de/files/jspps_style_guide.pdf and the example of this text:
The transliteration of Cyrillic words should follow the rules of this table:
We will not accept papers for review that still need extensive content-wise, linguistic or/and stylistic editing.
Authors of those papers that were accepted for publication should send the paper’s final, approved, ready-for-print version by 01 May 2018. They should be in native-level English, formulated in academic style, and thoroughly edited as well as formatted (quotations, references, subheadings, transliteration). Authors whose papers have been accepted will be asked to also function as reviewers of one of the other submitted papers.
The volume will be published with ibidem-Verlag at Stuttgart & Hannover as well as distributed, outside Europe, by Columbia University Press at New York as well as other distribution networks and bookshops, like Gazelle Book Services.
All questions and submissions should be sent to: